[Geany-devel] Ship with Grep on Windows?

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Mon Sep 3 20:59:23 UTC 2012

On 12-09-03 12:57 AM, Matthew Brush wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It would be useful to ship the Grep binary[1] (and dependencies) with
> Geany for Windows. It could be added to the installer for not too much
> extra size[2] and would enable the "Find in Files" feature to work on
> Windows by default. Normally I wouldn't like to add more stuff to the
> installer but I think without it Geany is missing a very useful feature
> on Windows by default.
>
> Does it sound reasonable or no?
>
> Cheers,
> Matthew Brush
>
> [1] Probably this one? http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/grep.htm
> [2] Based on above link maybe around 1-2 MB if its dependencies aren't
> already shipped with Geany (ex. libiconv, pcre, etc.).

Just following up on myself. It seems Geany+GTK doesn't ship with iconv
or PCRE, so maybe GLIB uses Windows equivalent of iconv and PCRE is
compiled in statically? Just a guess.

I compiled grep myself inside MSYS with this[1]:

$ CFLAGS="-Os" LDFLAGS="-static" ./configure --enable-threads=windows
--disable-nls --disable-perl-regexp --disable-rpath

It creates a grep.exe that is 1.53 MB and it doesn't seem to have any
DLL dependencies except for normal stuff. Using objdump and grep (since
I don't have ldd on Windows), these are the DLLs it lists:

         DLL Name: KERNEL32.dll
         DLL Name: msvcrt.dll

[1] Not sure if these are good options, but it's what I used.