[Geany-Devel] Paste does not work on OSX (git master)

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Sun Oct 28 18:55:24 UTC 2012

On 12-10-28 03:44 AM, Moja wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry if this is a known issue, I couldn't find anything in the mailing list or bugtracker.

There's a little discussion, for ex:
http://lists.geany.org/pipermail/users/2012-July/008104.html

There's also a couple threads related to overall improvement of Geany on
OSX (including the paste problem) on the users mailing list.

> I'd like to use Geany for development, but the Macports/Brew versions are very old (v0.21 in macports) and the plugins don't work with those versions. So I've set up all the dependencies and succesfully compiled geany (and the plugins, after some minor compat changes in the sourcecode) and everything seems to run fine, except pasting text (with is a bit of a showstopper…). Copy/Cut, etc work fine and I'm able to cut text from geany and paste it into external editors, but geany seems to ignore pasting (from command line and menu).
>
> I tracked the issue down in the sourcecode and it seems to be scintilla related (although using the newest  scintilla version (git master) didn't solve the issue), but unfortunately my GTK knowledge is very limited.
>
> in ScintillaGTK.cxx the Paste() function is being called and the gtk documentation tells me that he 'selection_received' signal now should be fired, leading to ScintillaGTK::SelectionReceived being called, but this is not being called.
>
> With the macports installation, paste seems to work - any hints on what causes this or how to debug it further ?

One thing to check is to see the patches that the Macports package
maintainers are using to make it working on OSX. Surely they have some
package source you could examine for changes.

Besides that, or using the experimental branch(es)/bundle(s) discussed
elsewhere in the mailing lists, which AFAIK, all fix the paste problem,
you could try resetting the keybindings through
Edit->Preferences->Keybindings->Clipboard in case of it not using the
correct OSX keybindings. Another thing to try is to use either the
Quartz or X11 GTK+ backends, depending on which one you've tried so far.
I'm not positive, but I don't think it's a bug in Geany/Scintilla
source, since it works fine on Linux/X11 and Win32.