[Geany-Devel] Proposal from the Mint distro

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Sun Oct 21 19:52:51 UTC 2012

On 12-10-21 02:49 AM, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I didn't really follow the thread in depth, so sorry in advance if I
> missed something obvious.
>

>> If it does indeed come down to just hiding widgets, I think we could
>> offer a way to do that. We (or Mint guys) could have a 2nd Glade file
>> which has the visibility of much stuff set to false. Other way is to
>> maintain an array of items to hide on startup. Both of these ideas were
>> shared here I think. I made a quick and dirty patch to show the later form:
>
> If it is even only about hiding widgets which already can be hidden via
> menu items/config options (via config even more can be hidden than via
> the GUI, e.g. each single tab in the messages window at the bottom),
> then it might be even enough to provide a global geany.conf in
> $prefix/share/geany, see
> http://www.geany.org/manual/#global-configuration-file

I think the idea is that not enough of the widgets are currently
configurable (eg. the Project and Build main menu items cannot be hidden
AFAIK), so this way as it is now is not enough.

But that doesn't mean we couldn't extend which widgets can be hidden via
the config file by adding more keys to it. I like this way the best
because I can also use it for the (future) Mac bundle (it already has a
customized geany.conf in the bundle to change some defaults).

The other options of Mint maintaining a fork to simplify Geany
themselves or doing it by means of distro package tricks means any
"improvements" couldn't easily be re-used for the Mac bundle (or other
DEs using it as a default text editor) and they would have to be
"unforked" or duplicated.