[Geany-Devel] Mint Distro suggested Geany icon

Lex Trotman elextr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 00:20:48 UTC 2012

Hi,

I contacted the Mint distro about the icon it provides for Geany,
suggesting one developed by Colomban  (with his permission)
https://github.com/b4n/geany-faenza-icon

The reply from Clement was:

 "I'm putting Stefano in CC (from the MATE team) since they're using the
same icon as us at the moment.

After reading the bug report and your email it's pretty clear to me that
you're right about this and that we should oblige and modify our icon to
match your expectations. The Faenza icon is good looking but not suited to
represent Geany. The one you linked to fixes that problem although it's
less visually appealing (in particular it shows yellow on top of yellow).

I took the older Faenza icon (the blue one) and replaced the Arabic word
with the original Geany lamp itself. The result is an icon which is good at
representing the app while remaining visually pleasant. Please find it
attached to this email.

Let me know which one you prefer between the two and we'll move ahead and
replace the current icon in our icon theme."

The suggested icon is attached.

The bug report referred to was this one
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/882336

Having loaded both into a Mint theme, I would have to agree that the
blueish background suggested by Clem fits better with the theme (mostly
silver-grey and green) than does the all yellow one.  Since it uses the
same background it will also still have some connection with the previous
Faenza icon, so it will reduce the impact on users who have become used to
that one.

Since Clement kindly asked our opinion, I suggest that we agree that his
suggestion is fine in our opinion.

What does everyone else think?