[Geany-Devel] I'm thinking I like Geany...

Lex Trotman elextr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 00:08:54 UTC 2012

On 29 November 2012 05:25, Steven Blatnick <steve8track at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Replies below.  I hope nobody is annoyed that the new guy is emailing so
> much :-)

Of course not, but be aware that many Geany devs do not have English
as their first language so the bigger the email the fewer read it
tl;dr :)

(Not that I'm innocent of verbosity of course :)

Also please keep your emails to text only.  Mailers don't agree well
on how HTML should render and > quotes don't work right.

[...]
> Maybe if it's just a flag it could be dependent on what it's building
> against?  Though I hate to support different features for different
> dependencies... If they end up keeping that feature, I hope we could use it.

We try to avoid #ifdefs everywhere.

[...]
> Instead, I think it would be more intuitive to put them all together like
> GEdit's External Tools.  It's simpler and more powerful I think.  (Don't get
> me wrong, I wouldn't be trying geany out if I thought gedit were better in
> every way.  Geany has a lot of customization GEdit lacked.)  For those who
> haven't used GEdit much, let me point out some of the features, as well as
> ideas for improvement:

The whole suggestion was tl;dr but let me point out that each of these
ways of running commands is different, for example compile commands
have their output scanned for error messages to show in the compiler
tab, execute commands do not have this, custom commands paste their
results in the buffer, etc.  As I remember gedit didn't have these
things.  So whilst combining them might in some ways be nice, I think
it is likely to confuse users who try to configure the wrong sort of
command in the wrong place.

[...]

> I meant that we should add those features to the current file browser
> plugin.  I wasn't able to see those features in the context menu.

Use the treebrowser plugin instead, add to that if you need to, keep
the filebrowser simple for Luddites like me :)

[...]