[Geany-Devel] I'm thinking I like Geany...

Lex Trotman elextr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 23:36:03 UTC 2012

Hi Steven,

On 29 November 2012 03:50, Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> Le 28/11/2012 16:37, Steven Blatnick a écrit :
>> Lex,
>>
>> Actually I tried Alt-Up on the file browser and it didn't work for me.
>> I just tried entering that shortcut into compiz, and it doesn't appear
>> to be using that shortcut for something else.  (Linux Mint 11 64-bit,
>> gnome 2, using geany from yesterday's git).

Lm13 with Mate works, maybe your DE is swallowing the alt, some do I
think.  Or it is GTK version dependent.

[...]

Since Colomban more than adequately answered most I will only comment
on a few of your points.

>>  1. Allow keyboard shortcuts to be changed from the menus.  Gnome2 at
>>     least has the option of allowing gtk apps to set their custom
>>     shortcuts by hitting the desired keys while the menu entry is
>>     highlighted.  This would make changing the shortcut as simple as
>>     finding the functionality in the first place instead of finding it
>>     again in the shortcuts menu.  It would also allow you to quickly
>>     change a shortcut on certain things quickly (see #2 below)

This was always a poorly thought out misfeature (for the reasons
Colomban said plus the accidental invocation factor) that we shouldn't
implement (IMHO).

[...]

>>  3. File Browser plugin allow creation of new file/folder, renaming of
>>     file (even one currently being edited, thereby changing the name on
>>     the editor too), and moving a file to trash.  Also, perhaps a
>>     feature to show/hide binary files.

Whats wrong with your DEs file manager, why should every application
(re)implement a full filemanager?  </rant> In Gnome2 at least the DE
filemanager is not like the strangulated Gnome 3 one :)

> I think the geany-plugins' filebrowser plugin already have those
> features.  Not sure why there are two distinct plugins though.

The one distributed with Geany is really just a file *browser*, more
like a persistent open dialog, the other tries to be a file manager,
but how well I'm not sure.

[...]

>>  7. Fixed width tabs option on Preferences->Interface->Notebook
>>     tabs->Tab positions.  When I move my tabs on the editor to the left
>>     or right, I would prefer to be able to fix the width on them so
>>     longer file names don't extend the width.  I did this with a python
>>     plugin in gedit by allowing the width to be set with a spinner in
>>     preferences and then the plugin adjusts the tab's Label property
>>     "width-request" from -1 to the width desired.  (I've already started
>>     looking into the code to do this in geany, but maybe someone else
>>     already is working on this or maybe can do it faster because of
>>     familiarity)
>
> In core Geany it would probably go in notebook_new_tab() from
> notebook.c.  However, a plugin could probably do it quite easily by
> connecting to the signal for new tab created, and modify the label
> packing or label size request.

Yeah a plugin to do this would be nice,
when_you_have_a_very_long_filename_it_shrinks_the_editor_too_much.txt
:)

[...]

>>  9. Both the side panel and the bottom panel allow Ctrl+PgUp/PgDown to
>>     change tabs like the editor does (awesome!) but unlike the editor,
>>     they don't wrap around.  Also, the bottom panel, the terminal
>>     emulator interrupts the keyboard shortcut, not allowing it to browse
>>     off of it using that keyboard shortcut.
>
> I can't be sure right now for the normal Geany, but without
> modifications in this direction my GTK3 branch does loop in all notebooks.

Latest Git wraps here too, maybe it depends on GTK version? Using GTK
2.24.10, GLib 2.32.3.

[...]

>> 10. Allow a dynamic number of compile tools.  It appears now I can only
>>     have the number visible in the UI.  I realize the UI would have to
>>     be coded instead of in a glade file to do this.  Alternatively,
>>     "External Tools" like functionality would, in my opinion, be more
>>     versitile.  It allows any program to be called passing it the same
>>     things we pass plus any highlighted text, current line number,
>>     current line, etc.
>
> I can't really answer here (Lex probably could ;)), but I think that
> only the UI prevents from a dynamic number of build commands.  E.g., I
> think the code behind has the ability.

It is all implemented, the UI size will change at *startup* if the
settings (in various) are changed.  Read
http://wiki.geany.org/howtos/configurebuildmenu :)

The extra command slots will only appear in the set build commands
dialog until you assign them a name to go on the menu.

> IIRC somebody already started a discussion on changing this UI, not sure
> what was the outcome (but either we couldn't find a solution we found
> good or nobody felt like doing the required changes).

Not sure what discussion you mean, did I miss something?

[...]

>> 13. Allow the status bar to change the file-type setting for setting
>>     syntax highlighting (gedit style).
>
> This would require a quite massive rewriting of the toolbar code since
> currently it's simply a (user-modifiable) formatted string, e.g. it's
> one single string, not several label/values (where the value could quite
> easily be changed to a combo box or alike).  Though, I agree that the
> idea is quite neat -- although I find the GEdit implementation terrible
> from it having all items in one single menu, making searching for the
> appropriate language really hard.
>
> If we chose to implement this, all configurable items shown in the
> status bar could benefit from it (indent type, line ending type,
> encoding and filetype).

Since you have to click on both, I don't see this adding any value
over using the document menu, lets concentrate on adding useful
features, not more ways of invoking existing ones.

>> 14. "Snap Open" dialog.  Quickly open files by typing the filename and
>>     filtering down based on a project's base directory (or otherwise
>>     configurable).  The dialog should be configurable to skip files for
>>     speed, such as a build directory, .svn/.git and hidden directories, etc.
>
> That'd probably be a great plugin :)  I think GProject (or maybe it's
> GeanyPRJ?) has a similar feature.
>
> Ah, and if you want this feature, maybe you'd be interested by the
> Commander plugin ;) (it allows to browse the menus and open files using
> a search entry).

This of course used to be part of the open dialog until the brain dead
at GTK removed it.

[...]