[Geany-Devel] Bug: Conflicting Keyboard shortcut in "reload file" dialog - ID: 3587465

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 28 13:39:42 UTC 2012

On 27/11/2012 18:13, Matthew Brush wrote:
> On 12-11-27 09:54 AM, Nick Treleaven wrote:
>> On 27/11/2012 17:48, Matthew Brush wrote:
>>> We could just drop the Close button altogether since you can already
>>> close the document by using the close button in the notebook tab, the
>>> close button in the toolbar, the close button in the main menu or by
>>> using Ctrl+W (or whatever) accelerator. Unlike the "missing on disk"
>>
>> That takes quite a bit longer when you have several files to reload and
>> you want to close most of them. This situation actually happens often
>> for me, I think pretty much as often as I want to reload documents.
>>

> What is your use case for when you want to close a file after it has
> been externally modified on disk? I understand the case for "externally
> deleted/moved" just not for "externally changed".

1. switching git branches - different branches need different files open
in Geany. After switching I often want to close the unnecessary ones.

2. sometimes I have the same file open in two instances of Geany -
sometimes I reuse my 1st instance to open an unrelated file for a quick
edit and realize I actually need other files open too, so I start a new
instance. On switching back to the 1st Geany detects the change, but I
don't want it open any more.

The first item above is the most important. I'm not sure if there are
other cases too, but I definitely use Close quite a lot. BTW I'm open to
removing it if it actually causes a problem, but a mnemonic clash has
other solutions to try first.