[Geany-Devel] Printing

Roger Booth rbooth at kabooth.com
Fri Nov 2 03:02:14 UTC 2012

The horizontal positioning of the vertical line between line number and
text looks fine, now. I ran several test and the location always looked
reasonable.

A printout of the same page of the same document from V1.22 and the git
version shows that the characters in the new version are printed more
closely together than in the old version, so even though the line number
margin is wider in the new version, each line is shorter, which allows
an even greater line length before wrapping than in the old version.

On the other hand, each line is a bit taller in the new version than in
the old version. The new version lists 56 lines on page one, the old
lists 61 lines. (with a font of monospace, regular, 10).

Geany versions 1.22 and before (at least since I started using Geany a
year ago or so) drew the vertical line down to the last printed line of
the page. So on the last page of the document, if the last line of the
document wound up in the middle of the page, the vertical line extended
down to the middle of the page.

In the current git version, on the last page, the vertical line always
extends to near the bottom of the page. Print out a document with only
22 lines total, and the vertical line goes to near the bottom of the page.

One unrelated nit I found is if you set the font size above 22 or so
(probably depends on digits in current page number, total pages, L10n
date format), the page number and date in the heading collide. Not sure
if anyone cares about that one.

Another 'does anyone care' - if you choose to Print Preview page 3 of a
one-page document, nothing happens. No diagnostic, nothing.

While I'm at it, if you select to print a few pages of, say, a 12 page
document using exactly

    3 5 7

Print Preview shows only page 3, without explaining why no 5 or 7. That
happened to me a few months ago, then I stumbled on the tooltip. But it
didn't matter, since Geany (before this version) printed page 1 and
labeled it page 3. By the way, I have tested printing, in a 13-page
document, the following

   3,13,7

The pages matched exactly (far as I could tell) the same pages from a
previous complete printout (both printed using the git version with
patches).

Regards,
  Roger