[Geany-devel] Geany multicursors patch

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed May 23 00:05:24 UTC 2012

On 23 May 2012 04:40, Davide Andreoli <dave at gurumeditation.it> wrote:
> 2012/5/21 Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com>
>>
>> On Sun, 20 May 2012 12:30:12 +0200
>> Davide Andreoli <dave at gurumeditation.it> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all!
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> > I implemented this in editor.c (and not as an external plugin) because I
>> > have plans to also extend the snippets to support multi editing.
>> >
>> > Actually the patch is really simple but is just a first test, it is not
>> > ready as there are 3 open issue:
>> >
>> > 1. do you like the feature? :)
>>
>> Yes, but would prefer it as a plugin. Extending it to snippets, well...
>> doesn't seem useful to me.
>

> Please, give a look at the last mail (the one I replayed) in the geany ml,
> it seems I'm not the only one searching for snippets that can insert the
> same typed word in different position inside the snip.

[...]

So Davide, lets see how complex the snippet changes are going to be.
If they are small they can probably go in core, otherwise for a
function that has an uncommon use-case it should be a plugin as
Dimitar suggests.

IMHO the multiselection is now small enough (3 lines)  that a plugin
would be overkill :)

Davide, what is the impact of enabling this, how do existing features
interact with multiple selections? Do any Geany actions that use
selections fail when fed a multi-selection? How does paste work? And
what if I actually select some text (ie ctrl-swipe not just click).

You *must* update the documentation to match, making sure you catch
all places where such a change might impact.

[...]
> The multiple selection hard-coded binding (Ctrl+Alt) is "shadowed" by the
> rectangular selection
> binding (Ctrl). So the only way I found to make multiple selection +
> rectangular selection to work
> is to change the binding for the rect selection.
>
> With the patch applied you can make rectangular selection with "Super" and
> multiple selections with "Ctrl+Alt".
>
> Probably you will not like the binding change (I don't like to change it,
> I'm quite used to use Ctr for rect selections)  so I'm searching another way
> to solve the binding conflict... suggestions are welcome

As a GTK app Geany normally tries to follow the Gnome HIG
http://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/2.32/hig-book.html#input-mouse
section 10.1.2.

This specifies ctrl-click as the extend selection input, and it is in
the majority of applications.  So despite it having been a Geany
setting for a long while, I think it should be changed now that
multiple selection is going to be supported.

Any suggestions for a replacement for the go to definition binding?

[...]