[Geany-devel] Geany multicursors patch

Davide Andreoli dave at xxxxx
Sun May 20 10:30:12 UTC 2012

Hi all!

http://pastebin.geany.org/jdRsm/

The linked patch implement 'multicursor' mode in editor.c and give the
ability to insert text at different positions at the same time, similar to
rectangular selections but at random (user selected) places.

It works like this:
Ctrl+Alt+Click add a new 'multicursor' at click position, without actually
moving the caret, you can add as many as you want. Now you are in
multicursors mode, every inserted char is inserted also in all the other
positions.
To end the mode just move the caret with the arrow keys.

I implemented this in editor.c (and not as an external plugin) because I
have plans to also extend the snippets to support multi editing.

Actually the patch is really simple but is just a first test, it is not
ready as there are 3 open issue:

1. do you like the feature? :)

2. atm the multimode end when you press up/down/left/right....i don't like
it too much, some other idea?

3. is there a way to really show multiple carets? in the patch i'm using
the search indicator to highlight the other cursors, but it really should
be something like a caret, not an indicator. suggestions welcome

note: this is my first geany patch... plese be kind :P

davemds
---
dave at gurumeditation.it - www.gurumeditation.it