[Geany-devel] tagmanager changes

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon May 7 16:04:47 UTC 2012

On 02/05/2012 05:46, Lex Trotman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> To summarise since the thread has several subthreads.
>
> 1. Tagmanager Understandability
>
> a. I generated the doxygen documentation for tagmanager, it works if
> you set recursive, but didn't help much:
>
> - if its not OOP why does it say things like "TMWorkspace is derived
> from TMWorkObject" and similar?

documentation bug IMO

> - its not clear how it all goes together, the workspace contains
> global tags and work_objects, or is that files and whats the

workspace work objects are document tags. global tags explained in
geany's manual.

> difference between source_file and file_entry?

It doesn't look like tm_file_entry_ is really used.

> - similarly whats the difference between symbol and tag?

tm_symbol_ doesn't seem to be used.

> 2. Ability to expand tagmanager to handle names declared in lexical
> scopes (not to be confused with struct/class scopes).  Here is the
> example again with some numbers so I can refer to them
>
> { struct a o; struct a p;
>      o./* struct a members */
>     { struct b o;
>       o./* struct b members */
>       p./* struct a members */
>     }
>     o./* struct a members */
>     p./* struct a members<1>  */
>     { struct c o;
>       o./* struct c members */
>       p./* struct a members<2>  */
>     }
>     o./* struct a members */
>     p./* struct a members */
>   }
>
> a. yep, tries use more memory than an array, the usual speed/space,
> pick one, tradeoff :)
>
> b. @Nick, when you say sort by scope then name, are you wanting to
> have an entry in the table for each declaration of the name?

no

> - If so this makes the array much bigger to search and your search
> speed depends on size, and it doesn't get you anything, you can't
> search by scope since you don't know if the name is declared in the
> scope you are in or an outer scope compare p at<1>  and<2>
>
> - having a single name array which then points to scope info for the
> name is a viable approach (disclosure, thats how I'm doing the symbol
> table for a language I'm developing) but the table being searched is
> usually larger than if you have nested arrays.  Being smaller these
> are faster to search if the search isn't O(1), hence the suggestion of
> trie instead of bsearch.

the gain in simplicity makes a bigger array to search worth it.
Remember, global tags aren't included in the workspace array of
tagmanager, so we're not talking a big number of tags, and we have o(log
n) searching.

> 4. Ctags parsers
>
> Agree with Nick that the parsers are usable, but if we start modifying
> them to handle local declarations then they will be totally
> incompatible with the Ctags project so I guess it doesn't matter other
> than for getting languages we don't currently parse.

ctags c.c already parses local tags

> 5. Overloaded symbols
>
> Since Colombans patch, overloaded symbols are now stable for all
> practical code (I think theoretically it could get confused if the
> overloads are on the same line but thats unlikely enough to ignore for
> human generated code)

If you're talking about master, I think I still experienced wrong
parenting on reparsing when removing lines.

> 6. Moving functionality from symbols.c to tagmanager
>
> a. Since its the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking, I think
> that "shuffling the deckchairs" is an apt analogy, the functionality
> has to be somewhere, its only useful to move it if the destination
> significantly reduces the effort required.

I don't think I suggested moving functionality. I wondered whether TM
could help make symbols.c less complex. I would need to understand the
complexity to know whether this is appropriate or not.

Titanic comment is bizarre. My suggestion could equally apply to
ctagsmanager.