[Geany-devel] Status of SM-Branch

Eugene Arshinov earshinov at xxxxx
Sat Mar 31 10:53:32 UTC 2012

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 20:31:06 +0200
Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:31:21 +0400
> Eugene Arshinov <earshinov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > [snip]
> >
> > So, the only useful thing in SM branch is the minor improvements.
> > Even if someone has time to discuss them and decide to include them
> > in trunk, it may be rather hard to cleanly extract the necessary
> > patches from SM so that they apply to trunk.
>
> Well, not sure and just a thought. Would it be possible to extract the
> little improvements so they could be merged to trunk? Can you give a
> more detailed view on the et? What do the improvements include?

Hi Frank.

Recently I posted pull request #34 that fixed opening project in an
already running project.  It's already accepted and closed.  Now it
seems to me that was the last meaningful (though, very tiny) change
from SM that could be useful in trunk.

There are another changes in SM.  They can be rather easily viewed by
cloning my SM repository [1] and running `git log` command [2].  For
convenience, I attached the output to this message.

You see, there are many changes, but many of them were caused by what
my SM implementation demanded (and that's a serious drawback of my
implementation as opposed to the version created by Dimitar).

For example, in my SM --new-instance implies --no-session -- that was
done particularly in order to make my SM restore "new instances"
properly.  I believe, nobody wants such changes to land into trunk.
Another example, since in my implementation several instances could
write user's geany.conf simultaneously, I included into SM a patch
that offered locking of that file (created by Lex, afair).

Well, I think I explained pretty much of it.  If I accidently find
another little change that could be useful in trunk, I'll just create
another pull request for it, especially because it's very convenient
on Github.

There is actually a little change that indeed could be useful, "Use
absolute paths to project file names" (commit de9d440).  But I'm not
sure, why it was necessary and why I wrote it…

[1]: <https://github.com/earshinov/geany/tree/sm>
[2]: git log --first-parent --pretty='tformat:%h %ad %d %s' af8c11f^..sm

--
Best regards,
Eugene.