[Geany-devel] Gathering Release 1.22 incompatibilities

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Mar 20 13:09:51 UTC 2012

On 20/03/2012 04:46, Lex Trotman wrote:
> +    Filetypes
> +    * Move all named styles into color schemes and keep only mappings in the
> +      filetypes files. Filetypes should no longer contain styling information,
> +      except `filetypes.common` which contains the default color scheme. Breaks
> +      compatibility with old filetypes files.

I think the filetypes.* files compatibility was not broken. Rather that
overriding filetypes style defaults will break color schemes.

> +    Plugin API
> +    * Rename signal `project_dialog_create` to `project_dialog_open` and
> +      add new signal `project_dialog_close`. Increments plugin ABI so all
> +      plugins need re-compilation even if they don't use the signal.

If compiling doesn't catch any new errors, I don't think the ABI should
have been broken. Maybe it's worth reverting the ABI break?

> +    User Interface
> +    * Keybinding Ctrl-t has been re-purposed from "transpose line" to
> +      "go to tag".  Transpose line should be less used now the "move line"
> +      commands are available.

I've now committed a workaround - see the latest 2 commits. Existing
users should see no change on upgrading Geany, even if they never edited
any keybindings. New users get the new keybinding defaults.

Also, shouldn't the important/breaking things be in the same group at
the top? Otherwise when we add the other changes they won't stand out.