[Geany-devel] Gathering Release 1.22 incompatibilities

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Mon Mar 19 01:12:09 UTC 2012

On 12-03-18 05:20 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I recently ran into Nicks change of the default keybinding<ctrl>-t
> from transpose to gototag.  This made me realise we need to keep a
> list of incompatibilities to add to the release notes when 1.22 is
> released.

I don't know if I'd consider changing a default keybinding an
"incompatibility" as such. IMO, unless something breaks as a result of
an upgrade, it's not really incompatible.

> I would have thought that anything incompatible would have been
> forgotten by then unless we keep a running list, at the moment all I
> can think of is the ctrl-t and themes, but I am sure there are others.

The only real incompatibilities I can think of are the filedefs/color
schemes, changes to the plugin API, and the GTK+ version bump.

> The list also saves Git blaming to try to see what made the change and
> if it is deliberate or not.
>
> So any suggestions on how we should gather these?  and of any more of them.

We could, at release-time, just manually scan the ChangeLog (and/or
Release Notes) and add an asterisk to each item that changes defaults or
breaks compatibility, with a note at the bottom of the list to explain
what the asterisk means.