[Geany-devel] Markers

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Sun Mar 11 19:25:29 UTC 2012

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 12:33:07 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think much is needed:
>
> 1. Scintilla already provides the special symbol SC_MARK_AVAILABLE to
> indicate that the mark is available.

I already replied to this [1]. Unless we want each plugin to allocate
it's markers for each document, possibly receiving different numbers,
we should have a bitmap in Geany.

> 3. When a plugin needs a marker for a document it should search for
> one that is available on that document and use that, and set it back
> to available when it no longer needs it and on unload.  There are only
> 32 to search so it isn't IMHO worth implementing anything faster.

Oh, I see. So any plugin with markers must keep track of each document
it allocated markers in. This is not going to be fun.

> why should
> a C language plugin steal markers froma Python file when the Python
> plugin also needs them??

To be able to allocate markers #s in plugin_init(), and free them in
plugin_cleanup(). To be able to work without tracking document file
type changes.

[1]
http://lists.uvena.de/pipermail/geany-devel/2012-February/006629.html

--