[Geany-devel] Fwd: Security issue in Terminal

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Thu Mar 8 17:13:29 UTC 2012

Le 08/03/2012 17:31, Johann SAUNIER a écrit :
> Which distros are still mounting /tmp on the hard drive rather than on a
> tmpfs file system ?

Not Debian Sid obviously:

$ /bin/df -h /tmp/
tmpfs           767M   67M  700M   9% /tmp

...but Debian Stable does:

$ /bin/df -h /tmp/
/dev/...         19G  3.8G   14G  22% /

> Le 8 mars 2012 00:20, "Matthew Brush" <mbrush at codebrainz.ca
> <mailto:mbrush at codebrainz.ca>> a écrit :
>

>     Hi all,
>
>     Just forwarding this along from the Xfce list as Geany (and many
>     other programs) also use this same library for the Terminal feature.
>     I'm not convinced it's a big deal, but none-the-less users should be
>     aware of it. See the link in the forwarded message for more information.

I don't think it's really a big deal with Geany's terminal in which I
doubt users could do much sensible enough stuff.  However yes, it's
probably worth a note, maybe in the manual.  Though, as Johann pointed
out, at least some distros are mounting tmpfs on /tmp by default so
aren't affected by the issue.

Regards,
Colomban