[Geany-devel] Usage of plugin_help()

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Mar 7 08:26:45 UTC 2012

Hi Frank,

Good question.

> Well... which means its not really defined what the user will expect
> once he push the button. Therefore we do have at least 2.5 major behaviors:
> - Geany is calling a browser and opening a webpage with info (spellcheck
> plugin)

Which gets a 404 error for me, and anyway expecting online connection
for a local plugin is *very* rude. If you provide a webpage make it
local.  And if it is online make sure it is available!

> - Its opening a message window with
>        * a short info about plugin (e.g. geanyLaTeX)
>        * a long help text about plugin (e.g. geanymacro)

Neither of these provide much "help", if its called help then provide
*user* help, not something useless. </rant>

> Question is, what do we really want to have behind that function?

The delivery format is less important than actually providing help.

That said, a webpage provides some formatting that helps to structure
the information, but it does need to meet the "good webpage guide" as
defined by me ;-)  (can be resized, uses my default text size, not
more than 40em wide text lines, *nothing* is pixel based, works in all
major browsers)