[Geany-devel] Remove MSYS dependency of Geany on Win~1

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Tue Jun 26 19:06:33 UTC 2012

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 13:52:12 -0700
Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> > C> mingw32-make -f makefile.win32
> > C> mingw32-make -f makefile.win32 install
> >
> > Tested with mingw, cmd/tcc. Should work with MSYS make too... but I had
> > to use backslashes in the install: target, and am not sure if/how MSYS
> > make escapes them. Win~1 fully supports forward slashes internally, but
> > the command interpreters have only partial support.
> >

> Which command interpreters? AFAIK `cmd.exe` supports it fine, no?

Yes, cmd/tcc = cmd.exe or tcc.exe (the free take-command light).

> For anything on Windows, spaces in filenames is *really* likely :)

Well, the purpuse of this patch is to phase out MSYS. We can quote
the gtk+ path later...

> MSYS does treat backslashes as escapes, and I think that is a worse
> problem than cmd.exe interpreting forward slashes as command options, as
> it can occur in more situations. I think we should use forward slashes
> throughout.

I expected something like that. OK, the "-b" version uses forward
slashes only. It's stupid and less efficient - not that it matters on
novadays machines. The command interpreters seem to tolerate forward
slashes for an exact-match path.

> Unfortunately I can't get your patch to apply against current Git, but
> I'm not sure why (see attached file for errors). Can you/someone test if
> it applies (maybe there's something weird happening on my Windows setup)?

The original patch had CR+LF line endings, the attached "-a" version
uses LF. But we should try "-b" anyway.

--

Note that using a cmd-style shell with SHELL defined to a *nix style
shell fails, no matter if makefile.win32 is patched or not. That's a

--
E-gards: Jimmy