[Geany-devel] Does "marker_translucency" work?

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sun Jun 24 22:29:18 UTC 2012

Le 24/06/2012 23:40, Matthew Brush a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing up some info on colour schemes and through testing it seems
> that "marker_translucency" doesn't do anything. Can anyone test to confirm?
>
> It says in the manual and filetypes.common file that it's supposed to
> control the translucency of the line markers (first arg) and the search
> indicators (second arg),

Actually it speaks about "the line marker [...] and the search marker",
no indicator here.

> but it seems that the line marker is hardcoded
> to fully opaque and that the search indicator is hardcoded to a fixed
> translucency level (not fully opaque).
>
> It's entirely possible I'm missing (or misunderstanding) something.

I'd say that the doc is not clear on what this does, but it works
properly.  These values are used for the markers 0 (GCS_MARKER_LINE,
line marker used e.g. when triggering "got tag definition") and 1
(GCS_MARKER_MARK, user marker).

These markers are generally displayed as a symbol in the marker margin
(either an arrow or a plus sign), but are drawn as a line background if
the marker margin isn't visible (View->Editor->Display Marker Margin).
The translucency value is used only when drawing that background (see
Scintilla docs:
http://www.scintilla.org/ScintillaDoc.html#SCI_MARKERSETALPHA).

The search marker (GCS_MARKER_SEARCH, which actually is an indicator)
however has an hard-coded alpha value of 60 (highlighting.c:680.

Maybe changing the docs from:

> Translucency for the line marker (first argument) and the search
> marker (second argument). Values between 0 and 256 are accepted.

to:

> Translucency for the line marker (first argument) and the user
> marker (second argument) when drawn as a line background.  Values
> between 0 and 256 are accepted.

may help.

Hope it helps.
Colomban