[Geany-devel] Remove MSYS dependency of Geany on Win~1

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Fri Jun 22 17:22:41 UTC 2012

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:23:26 +0100
Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> >> $(MAKE) -C foo -f makefile.win32
>
> OK.
>
> >> Linking does not work, because the stock make supports \ only for
> >> variables, not commands. But that's even easier to fix: [...]
>
> OK.
>
> >> There is also some inconsistency: CP = copy, but "cp -r" and "cp" at
> >> the end of makefile. The install target can be rewritten as several
> >> -$(MD) and non-recursive $(CP) commands, and no MSYS will be required.
>
> Sigh. Is there no equivalent of 'cp -r' on Windows?

XCOPY can be used. But since we only have the data/ directory with two
subdirectories, a COPY is fine too.

> >> RFC. If we consider this worthy, I can make the required changes.
>
> Sounds good.

I'll probably make the changes in Monday.

> On 20/06/2012 19:04, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
>  > That looks like an entirely new makefile. I was able to compile Geany
>  > with small (msys compatible) changes in the existing makefiles, and
>  > setting MAKE to mingw32-make in localwin32.mk...
>
> Yes, probably we should set MAKE=mingw32-make instead of 'make'.

If we don't need MSYS, and there aren't any advantages in using it for
compiling and installing Geany, mingw32-make should be the default.

--
E-gards: Jimmy