[Geany-devel] Remove MSYS dependency of Geany on Win~1

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue Jun 19 21:25:11 UTC 2012

On 12-06-19 10:12 AM, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that 1.22 is out, how about removing the MSYS build dependency
> under Win~1? I tried to compile Geany with the default MinGW make,
> without any MSYS, and there were some easily fixable problems:
>
> cd foo&&  $(MAKE) -f makefile.win32&&  cd ..\..
>
> does not work, probably requires some sh. But if we depend on GNU make
> (which seems to be the case, since we're using ifdef/else/endif), it's
> easier and shorter to:
>
> $(MAKE) -C foo -f makefile.win32
>

> Linking does not work, because the stock make supports \ only for
> variables, not commands. But that's even easier to fix:
>
> STLIBS
> = ../scintilla/scintilla.a ../tagmanager/tagmanager.a ../tagmanager/mio/mio.a
>
> $(TARGET): $(OBJS) $(RES) $(STLIBS)
> 	$(CXX) $(OBJS) $(RES) -o $(TARGET) $(STLIBS) $(ALL_GTK_LIBS)
> $(WIN_LIBS)
>
> with the added benefit that static library names are not repeated
> literally.
>

> There is also some inconsistency: CP = copy, but "cp -r" and "cp" at
> the end of makefile. The install target can be rewritten as several
> -$(MD) and non-recursive $(CP) commands, and no MSYS will be required.
>

> RFC. If we consider this worthy, I can make the required changes.

I have started working on this before:
https://gist.github.com/1494603

It builds but isn't perfect, like it doesn't do the icon/resource stuff,
and doesn't use win32-conf.h properly, but it might be useful for a
starting point. It's what I use for testing Geany on Windows.