[Geany-devel] GLib 2.32 and debug messages

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Jun 2 11:16:57 UTC 2012

On 2 June 2012 20:58, Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Since GLib 2.32, log messages at levels INFO or DEBUG aren't output
> unless G_MESSAGES_DEBUG environment variable is set to either "all" or
> to include the domain the message comes from [1].

Environment variables should die, they are hidden dependencies that
don't transport to user systems.

> The problem is that it breaks our `-v` option, since we simply turns on
> outputting INFO-level messages.  So, we need a fix or a workaround,
> something.  I see 2 solutions:
>
> 1) simply `g_setenv("G_MESSAGES_DEBUG", "all", TRUE)` when given `-v`
> (e.g. around main.c:131, `if (app->debug_mode) g_setenv(...`)

Maybe do this for pending release ...

> 2) output everything ourselves in `handler_log()` (log.c:115) rather
> than calling GLib's default handler.

... and this later for "proper" fix that allows us to tailor it as we
need, unless this is very simple too.

> The simplest fix is of course 1.  Not sure which one is the better
> though.  Anyway, I think we need to do something about this soon.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> Colomban
>

> [1]
> http://developer.gnome.org/glib/unstable/glib-Message-Logging.html#g-log-default-handler
>

> PS: BTW, if I read the `handler_log()` correctly, we block *all*
> messages when not in debug mode?  I mean, warnings, criticals and
> everything.  Do we really want that?

Probably still want criticals IMHO.