[Geany-devel] OSX build error: ld: unknown option: --export-dynamic

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Tue Jul 17 21:17:04 UTC 2012

Le 17/07/2012 22:43, Matthew Brush a écrit :
> On 12-07-17 01:32 PM, Sean Felipe Wolfe wrote:
>> Sorry to be kind of spammy today. Just ran into what looks like a
>> build error? I cloned the git repo, ran autogen.sh, and make is giving
>> me this error:
>>
>> -------------
>>
>>    CC     utils.o
>>    CC     vte.o
>>    CXXLD  geany
>> ld: unknown option: --export-dynamic
>>
>> -------------
>>
>> This is on osx Lion. Any suggestions?
>>

> Yep, this and your last problem were both things I had to figure out
> too. This export dynamic problem is because Geany doesn't deal with OSX
> separately and lumps it in with "non-Windows" in the Makefile.
> Unfortunately this linker flag is invalid on OSX but is needed on Linux
> (and others?) for Glade to connect to the signal handlers at runtime.
>
> Quick Fix: Just delete everywhere you see `-Wl,--export-dynamic` in the
> Makefile.am files (probably only in `src/Makefile.am`). We can't do this
> in Geany proper because it won't work correctly on Linux then.
>
> Real Fix: In the configure.ac, detect OSX somehow and do an
> AM_CONDITIONAL or something like this so that the Makefile can set the
> LDFLAGS differently for OSX than other Unices. If done correctly, a
> patch would be most welcome. I can't remember if I fixed this properly
> in my changes or if I just did the quick fix.

...or we could drop our flag and let GModule pkg-config flags deal with
it.  Fixed with commit
https://github.com/geany/geany/commit/d11f9a51b939bf39c3c1676ab823147d460ede75

Regards,
Colomban