[Geany-devel] Third party plugin publish and third party library bundle problem

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Mon Jul 16 18:05:17 UTC 2012

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 23:13:55 +0800
Hong Xu <dev at hong.me> wrote:

> On 2012/7/15 15:49, Frank Lanitz wrote:
> > On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 13:39:56 +0800
> > Hong Xu <dev at hong.me> wrote:
> >
> >> Whatever the answer is, can I put my plugin in
> >> <https://github.com/geany/geany-plugins> ? This repository seems
> >> better maintained than mine.
> >
> > I didn't have a look onto you code by now but in general you can add
> > you plugin also to geany-plugins project. I'd prefer you to having
> > you own fork of plugins and sending pull request against
> > geany/geany-plguins/master
> >
> >> The second problem is that, how should I bundle a third party C
> >> library with my plugin?
> >
> > I think Matthew answered here very well. It really depends on how
> > common this library is or if you are patching it in some kind.
> > Well... I don't like shipping to much libraries with one plugin as
> > there is always an question of updates in terms of a security fault
> > etc. Also this might could cause ending up in typical Windows
> > scenario where you are might having GTK installed about 1000 times
> > - each GTK serving its own application. So: if the library is
> > typical packaged for target platforms or if its available via a
> > common way (e.g. ppa on Ubuntu, some of the rpm-pages for SuSE or
> > Fedora/RH/SL) and you don't have any patches inside I wouldn't
> > deliver it with the plugin but depend on it.
> >

> Currently, the library is not commonly distributed under common
> distributions. The library URL is:
> https://github.com/editorconfig/editorconfig-core

Based on that I think including would be fine.

> There's a problem here: the library build system is based on CMake,
> while the geany-plugins project supports both autotools and waf. If I
> want to include the source in my code, I would probably have to
> reproduce the cmake build system using autotools. Do you have any
> suggestions handling a CMake third party library in geany-plugins?
> And do I also need to support BOTH the two build systems?

Well.... please include it to autotools if ever possible. Even cmake
might have some advantages (cannot say) I don't see any chance in terms
of man power etc to have it also maintained.

Cheers,
Frank
--
http://frank.uvena.de/en/