[Geany-devel] draggable tabs - current state?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Jul 14 10:39:00 UTC 2012

On 14 July 2012 20:21, Thomas Martitz
<thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:
> Am 14.07.2012 04:20, schrieb Lex Trotman:
>
>> On 14 July 2012 07:07, Sean Felipe Wolfe <ether.joe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd like to be able to have 2-3 columns of tabs and be able to drag +
>>> rearrange, something like Eclipse's draggable tab setup -- one of the
>>> few things I like about Eclipse.
>>>
>>> I assume this is non-trivial ... how horribly difficult would it be?
>>
>> Multiple columns/rows of tabs, how hard can it be?
>>
>> @#&* hard, AFAICT you will have to change GTK, not Geany.
>>
>> Note drag re-ordering already works.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Lex
>

> Can I at least have multiple sidebars with tabs being draggable between them
> (or make the message window a sidebar) ? :)

Hi Thomas,

Well, tabs are part of the GTK notebook that the edit window is in, so
to put them in a sidebar you would be re-implementing part of GTK,
maybe instead look at making the document sidebar re-orderable instead
of sorted?

> Currently Geany isn't so nice on a wide screen setup because much of the
> horizontal space is wasted, being bound to 80 or 100 column limit for source
> code. Vertical space is wasted because the message window could be a sidebar
> on wide screens.

Agree that widescreens are not a very good fit, so to maximise
vertical space I hide the message window whenever possible and put the
tabs on the left, you certainly can fit many more in there than on
top, and for me thats enough.  YMMV of course.

Although the message window contents doesn't usually use the entire
screen width, having the message window in the sidebar restricts its
width too much IMHO and of course split window wouldn't fit any more.