[Geany-devel] Usability fix - saving tab state

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue Jul 10 21:55:30 UTC 2012

On 12-07-10 11:20 AM, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 01:41:46 +0300
> Axel <apeka1990 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I believe there is a usability flaw in Geany - opened documents' list is
>> saved only if you exit the editor in 'traditional' way (by clicking exit
>> button or so). It's completely lost, if the process's killed. This was
>> irritating for me, as I tend not to close every program when shutting down,
>> but rather push the 'shutdown' button and get them all killed - and get the
>> list of opened documents lost.
>
> There is a X11 session management patch on Geany sourceforge patch
> tracker. Applies against 1.22, but not the newest svn. Not guaranteed
> to work under GNOME, they always have problems with session support.
> Won't ask you to save any modified files under Xfce, xfsm is buggy too.

So it only works in KDE and Unity? (and maybe TWM :)

Shouldn't bugs be filed against these projects (if not done yet) if they
don't support the standard X/Linux session management? AFAIK they all
claim to try and support the various standards floating around out
there. I have no clue about SM, but it seems crazy that it cannot be
done. There must be apps out there that work properly cross-desktop,
maybe we can copy them?

P.S. When logging out/shutting down, what order does it handle Geany
instances in? Does it always make sure the first opened instance is the
last to get handled so that you don't clobber the open files list for it
and stuff?