[Geany-devel] Opening unmounted GIO URIs

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jan 31 19:14:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 01:30:58 +0100, Colomban wrote:

Ho Colomban and the rest,

>https://github.com/b4n/geany/commit/01fd682674286dada6d6b77d0e3064c89a28df64
>
>I wrote this patch that adds automatic mounting of volumes needed to
>open a GIO URI, so one don't have to first mount the corresponding
>volume in Nautilus/whatever.  This make opening arbitrary URIs from the

whatever = Gigolo!

:)

>I'm quite confident mounting the volume is a good idea in theory, but
>there is a small thing making it a bit tricky: GIO doesn't seem to
>provide a synchronous API to do that.
>
>So, it either requires the calling code to be asynchronous (which we
>don't have yet and that don't fit well with current code), or to hack
>around to make the asynchronous code look synchronous.
>
>I did the latter, and that's basically the reason why I post this mail:
> do you think it's too ugly, too useless, too something?

I basically like the idea.
If I remember correctly, the relevant code is also called when starting
Geany and the main GUI isn't yet shown. If so, I see one
big problem:
if the mount won't finish in a short time, the user doesn't know what's
happening and probably only notices that Geany doesn't start because no
GUI is shown.
So, I think at the very least we would need some sort of timeout, a
short timeout, to cancel the mount operation if it takes too long. Not
sure what exactly is 'too long', maybe a few seconds.
Or even better (and more complex) we would show the user a dialog with
a pulsing progressbar or so stating that a mount operation is in
progress. A cancel button would be a big bonus but probabaly not
necessarily needed.