[Geany-devel] [geany/geany] 7cc443: Don't append file truncation warning if file doesn't exist - incorrect for remote files

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Jan 31 17:14:50 UTC 2012

On 27/01/2012 21:36, Lex Trotman wrote:
>> Anyway, I don't know how to improve the situation. My commit is necessary to
>> >  avoid confusing users about truncation on a local file that doesn't even
> No, neither do I, but we do get complaints about truncated files on
> network shares/gvfs every so often, thats why we added the message.

IIRC I added the message because of unexpected truncation of files on
any FS that has run out of space.

> So this change actually prevents the message in its main use-case,
> where harm may have been done, in favour of a use-case where no harm
> has been done, and that is bad.

Confusing the user is also harm. A (paranoid) user may worry some other
file got truncated.

When writing to a networked file I would expect users to take more
notice of error messages, i.e. they should expect a save error might
cause truncation.

Nick