[Geany-devel] Request: multithreaded tag generation?

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Fri Jan 27 23:54:34 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:35, Harold Aling <geany at sait.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 22:13, Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Harold,
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 16:35, Harold Aling <geany at sait.nl> wrote:
>>> Dear Geany Devs,
>>>
>>> I recently switched from GeanyPRJ to Gproject. Since Gproject doesn't
>>> support multiple open projects I have to switch between projects, but
>>> it takes up to 4 minutes to close one project and open another. A
>>> project consists of roughly 1000-2000 php-related files.
>>
>> How much of this time is spent by opening the project and how much by
>> closing? What time did the same take with granyprj?
>
> Just had a little time to check loading times with GeanyPRJ versus GProject.
>
> Starting Geany with 1 file open in a Drupal project with GProject
> enabled: 4 minutes and 1 second.
> Starting Geany with the same file with GeanyPRJ enabled: 23 seconds.
>
> Quitting Geany with an open Drupal project with GProject enabled:
> about 4 minutes.
> Quitting Geany with the same Drupal project with GeanyPRJ enabled:
> almost instant.
>
> The second time I opened the project with GProject, it only took 3
> minutes, so it has some caching benefits.

This is really strange - I call the same tag-generation-related
functions as GeanyPrj does so there shouldn't be any difference. Are
you sure that there are the same patterns for both projects and that
e.g. GProject doesn't match more files? That would explain the time,
otherwise I have no explanation.

Is there any way I could reproduce it here? If you find some test case
with e.g. some open source project I could download and test the tag
generation time, I'm sure I can get to the same times as GeanyPrj -
there's no reason why GProject should be slower.

Cheers,
Jiri