[Geany-devel] GIT commit mails format

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Jan 15 22:53:32 UTC 2012

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 13:35:35 -0800, Matthew wrote:

>On 01/15/2012 12:03 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>> [...]
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> If we agree to change the commit mails to this format, I'd deploy
>>> the script soon.
>>>

>> Hi Enrico,
>>
>> Actually I've become used to the standard github commit emails and
>> clicking on the link for the diff.
>>
>> Especially for large changes like geany.html or geany.glade (despite
>> Matthew and Colomban "promising" the diffs will get smaller with
>> 3.8.1) not being blasted by large diffs is good.  I can choose what I
>> want to see, and don't get the two line diff of geany.txt cut off
>> because the huge geany.html diff exceeds the size limit.
>>
>> I don't suppose that you could let registration for the commit ML
>> allow a choice of which we want?

Nope.
The only option would be two separate mailing lists.

Though the general idea about the diffs was to limit the diff size to
something like 100kb (as it was before in the SF SVN commit mails) or
any other value which we consider reasonable.

>Or make it so no diff is shown for autogenerated files like geany.html
>and geany.glade ?
>
>It'd be the best of both worlds then, IMO.

Yeah, a little hackish but would solve the problem probably well enough
together with a general max commit diff size limit.