[Geany-devel] Session Management Interim Solution Proposal

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Jan 1 22:48:36 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 6:21 AM, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 10:27:43 +1100
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Seasons greetings to all.
>
> :)
>
>> Since Gnome seems to have irretrievably broken X session management it
>> does not seem likely that proper session management will be solved in
>> the near term. Sadly this seems to waste all the good work that the
>> guys put into the SM branch, thanks for the effort.
>
> Aside from the exceptionally beautiful, absolutely powerful and
> unlimitely portable XSMP, which was never implemented properly by
> anyone except maybe the KDE4 guys, there's something called "legacy"
> X11 session protocol. It's OK, except that no "Save foo.c"? questions
> are allowed (this part of XSMP is implemented especially bad anyway).
>
> The legacy protocol is supported by all major DE-s, and I think even the
> automatic builtin restart of gtk+ applications uses it.
>
> See also: google: WM_SAVE_YOURSELF, nedit sources, my recent comment to
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3361963&group_id=153444&atid=787793

Hi Dimitar,

Am I right in thinking that what you are saying is that the situation
is a mess, but that you *may* be able to get the legacy mode running?

Won't allow user choice for saving files but will restore session?