[Geany-devel] Markers

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Mon Feb 27 18:12:33 UTC 2012

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 08:23:41 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> My personal preference would be some shared static function that
> >> any plugin using markers could access.
> >
> > A simple ui_utils function to find and return the first available
> > marker based on SC_MARK_AVAILABLE would suffice.
>
> The absolute minimum we need is for Geany to set unused markers to
> available.  Geany has to do this, it is the only thing *guaranteed* to
> run before all plugins.

Fraser #2 states this, but it won't be enough. In fact, it may be useful
only for programs with a single SciObj, such as SciTE.

> It is not clear to me if it has to be done for each scintilla buffer,
> each view or once only.

For each buffer (each SciObj), I guarantee...

> Plugins or Geany can then simply search for the next available one.
> and allocate it by setting it to something other than available.

Since a plugin may not need to set [all of] it's markers for each file,
and we may even have 0 buffers open, a guint map seems required, and I
was probably wrong to suggest AVAILABLE. Can't query/define Scintilla
markers without at least 1 SciObj...

> Since every mark using plugin should do it it is probably better to
> have a common function in Geany.

utils_ui_get_marker(), utils_ui_free_marker().

> It can then also generate a message
> to the user suggesting unloading a plugin if it runs out of markers.

Shoudn't the plugin handle this? It may reduce the number of markers
used, work without them if non-critical, or do something else.

> Bookmarks should also be re-written to only use the number of markers
> as current bookmarks, not grab ten at startup.

Ten markers? Wow, that's heavy. Different colors or what?

--
E-gards: Jimmy