[Geany-devel] Default shortcuts for plugins (was: Re: Plugins Guidance)

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Sat Feb 25 20:45:05 UTC 2012

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:48:41 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 February 2012 01:13, Colomban Wendling
> <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> > Le 21/02/2012 05:15, Lex Trotman a écrit :
> >> In another thread
> >> http://lists.uvena.de/geany/2012-February/007808.html a couple of
> >> things were mentioned about guidelines for plugins to be good
> >> citizens.  So I thought it worthwhile gathering any suggestions so
> >> the docs could be updated in one go.
> >>
> >> Items mentioned to date:
> >>
> >> 1. don't set default keybindings, users will be annoyed if you
> >> override their personal bindings.  Always let the user tell the
> >> plugin what to use.
> >
> > I'm not convinced that saying "not set default" is the best
> > solution to the conflict problem.  Couldn't Geany simply not
> > override an already existent keybinding when installing a plugin's
> > one?
>
> Thats possible, but does Geany know that it is a plugin setting the
> keybinding?

Not really.

> If we can do it, might it not also cause user confusion when
> keybindings are not applied?  What about when adding several plugins
> some of which clash in keybindings?

Yepp. This is the issue I'm seeing.

> There would have to be some sort of notification (I guess by plugin
> manager?) and that in itself is also probably annoying.

ACK.

> And even if the plugin didn't have a default shortcut, I guess if the
> user set one and the plugin saved it, then the user unloaded the
> plugin, set the same keybinding somewhere else and then re-loaded the
> plugin you still get a clash so detecting it and notifying the user is
> needed in any case.

Agreed.

As a conclusion based on your questions: I'm stronger in my point:
Noncore Plugins should not set default keybindings in about 99.9% of
cases.

Cheers,
Frank
--