[Geany-devel] Plugins Guidance

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Feb 23 04:42:59 UTC 2012

[...]
> IMO, if it's a simple plugin and provides a generic editor feature Geany is
> missing, it would be fine to put it in the corresponding menu (ex.
> Edit->Format->Remove Duplicate Lines),

Thats the problem, I would never have looked for remove duplicate
under "format", for me if it goes in the standard menu it goes in
"commands", maybe under "duplicate line" command.

> but if it's a big plugin with lots of
> menu items, even if they fit better in the regular menus, they should still
> be put in a submenu inside the Tools menu. That's my opinion anyway.

Agree here, one top level one in tools and the rest under it.  Except
for complete units of functionality like "debug" that should go in the
top level.

Maybe there should be a filetype specific top level item too, where
all the language specific plugins could put stuff, and over time we
could migrate language specific things to it.