[Geany-devel] Plugins Guidance

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Feb 22 00:20:25 UTC 2012

On 12-02-21 01:00 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> Another item just came up, see
> http://lists.uvena.de/geany/2012-February/007831.html where two
> plugins don't share resources nicely (in this case the limited number
> of markers available).
>
> Both plugins use hard coded integer marker numbers.
>
> Looks like all markers are going to have to be marked available by
> Geany (well except for those we use) and plugins are going to have to
> test for available ones before defining them, and to reset them
> available when the plugin is unloaded.  This means plugins also have
> to handle exhaustion of markers.
>
> This convention also needs to be documented.
>
> More generally what other resources does this apply to?

Indicators, GUI elements/widgets/layout (SplitWindow/Devhelp),
intents/purposes (GProject/GeanyPrj/Android/Clang), project files
(GProject/Others?), scripting plugins (GeanyPy/ZenCoding) and there's
probably some more.

It might be neat to have some form of controller in Geany that can dish
out resources as needed and prevent conflicting plugin types/intents and
resources.

PS, anyone not wanting to conflict with any of my plugins that use
indicators, don't use SCI_INDIC_MAX-1 :)