[Geany-devel] Line operations

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sun Feb 19 16:24:00 UTC 2012

Le 19/02/2012 08:02, Eugene Arshinov a écrit :
> Hi there.

Hi Eugene,

> Quick overview - I posted a pull request [3] which removes `move_lines`
> function and uses commands already available in Scintilla.  See below.
>
> On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 20:50:38 +0100
> Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
>
>> Le 05/02/2012 13:51, Eugene Arshinov a écrit :
>>> Hello all.
>>
>> Hey Eugene,
>>
>>> I have several suggestions and questions about certain line
>>> operations implemented in Geany.
>>>
>>> 1) Recently I found that "move lines up/down" command does not work
>>> properly for the last line not ending with a newline.  You can
>>> easily check it yourself.  Couple of minutes ago I made a pull
>>> request [1] with an implementation of `editor.c:move_lines()` which
>>> handles the problem.  Dear unknown someone, please review and pull
>>> if it's okay.
>>
>> I know this problem, but it needed a so big code refactoring it hurts
>> (I want as a proof the fact your rewrite is... huge), so... I just
>> postponed it.  Ok, shame on me.
>>
>> I haven't reviewed the new code yet, but I'll do.  Just as a note,
>> Scintilla has a command to do that that suffers (suffered?) of the
>> exact same bug we had.  Maybe it'd be good to fix their copy and use
>> the SCI message in place of our code.
>>
>> [snip]
>
> I didn't find those Scintilla commands (SCI_MOVESELECTEDLINES{UP,DOWN}
> to be precise) because they are not mentioned in the official Scintilla
> documentation [1], though they are of course mentioned in Scintilla.h.
> For completeness, here is the feature request for Scintilla where those
> commands came from - [2].

It is in the docs:
http://www.scintilla.org/ScintillaDoc.html#SCI_MOVESELECTEDLINESUP

> The commands indeed work similarly to our own `move_lines` function.  I
> posted pull request #24 [3] which removes `move_lines` function and
> leverages the commands.  I hope it can be committed so that I can
> switch my effort of improving "Move lines" feature from Geany to
> Scintilla.

Looks fine to -- apart of course it doesn't fix the initial problem yet.
 At least so there would be only one copy of the functionality.

So just to be sure we understand each other: I drop your previous pull
request (#21), apply this one (#24) and wait for your patch to be in
Scintilla?

Regards,
Colomban