[Geany-Devel] [Geany-devel] Remove MSYS dependency of Geany on Win~1 - VirtualStore data files

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 12 13:25:55 UTC 2012

On 11/12/2012 19:20, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 17:44:20 +0000
> Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

>> So, I did a search for geany.glade and discovered it in:
>> c:\Users\Nick\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Geany\data
>>
>> reading up on the VirtualStore path, I found it gets created when an
>> application tries to write to a system path like Program Files, without
>> the correct privileges. The application then silently receives the
>> VirtualStore versions of files instead. [...]
>
> Now that's a... a system designed without security, attempting to
> provide "compatibility" with weird tricks.
>
> What's the situation with geany.exe in this case - doesn't it create
> even more problems? The newest win~1 versions are very sinsitive about
> replacing executables.

To be honest I don't understand exactly when the VirtualStore path gets
written to, but for Geany I think we probably want to just disable it
altogether. I think this requires a 'manifest' XML file, referenced in
the .rc file:

Yet another Windows build file with a version and metadata to update on
release :-/