[Geany-devel] Geany-Plugins Dependency Consolidation

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Aug 5 12:24:12 UTC 2012

On 5 August 2012 21:47, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 10:21:04 +1000
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > You got it mostly. I just mean some way for the build system to
>> > handle multiple plugins sharing same dependencies like having
>> > webkit.m4 that enables/disables multiple plugins if not found. So
>> > when you configure, it says something like this:
>> >
>> >   checking for WebKit >= x.xx ... no
>> >      Disabling plugins: WebHelper, Devhelp, Markdown
>>
>> I don't see this, the *plugin* should define what it needs, not some
>> arbitrary external build script.  My (limited) understanding of the
>> plugin autofoo is that is how its done now by having local build
>> scripts in each plugin.
>>
>> If they require different versions that might mean you get Webhelper
>> and Devhelp but not Markdown, but your scheme won't allow that.  So if
>> the Markdown dev added some new feature that needed a higher version I
>> can't build the other two unless I upgrade my system :(
>>
>> We should not be forcing the *highest* version needed by plugins.
>
> I agree. But I also see the point of consolidation of dependencies. Its
> getting really complicated to say geany-plugins needs this dependencies,

Well, I am not sure that we should be saying "geany-plugins" has
dependencies anyway.  IIUC, at least Debian packages each plugin
separately anyway.  I can't speak for other distros but it makes sense
for users to be able to get just the plugins they want.

Building the whole lot from source or git is fine, plugins that don't
have their needs met don't build, but do tell you about it.

> but I think its an issue we need to solve on social level, not trying

So I agree with Colomban, that there isn't anything to "solve",
different plugins have different dependencies, thats life.

However I agree that checking what dependencies are specified is
worthwhile from time to time, to make sure that the list is right in
Autofoo and the documentation.