[Geany-devel] Geany-Plugins Dependency Consolidation

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Sun Aug 5 11:47:58 UTC 2012

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 10:21:04 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5 August 2012 03:40, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> > On 12-08-04 09:41 AM, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> So... maybe I got your point wrong, but I don't think it's any
> >> kind of a problem to have different dependencies from one plugin
> >> to another -- actually, I think each plugin should set it
> >> dependencies to exactly what it needs: nothing less (of course),
> >> and nothing more.
> >>

> > You got it mostly. I just mean some way for the build system to
> > handle multiple plugins sharing same dependencies like having
> > webkit.m4 that enables/disables multiple plugins if not found. So
> > when you configure, it says something like this:
> >
> >   checking for WebKit >= x.xx ... no
> >      Disabling plugins: WebHelper, Devhelp, Markdown
>
> I don't see this, the *plugin* should define what it needs, not some
> arbitrary external build script.  My (limited) understanding of the
> plugin autofoo is that is how its done now by having local build
> scripts in each plugin.
>
> If they require different versions that might mean you get Webhelper
> and Devhelp but not Markdown, but your scheme won't allow that.  So if
> the Markdown dev added some new feature that needed a higher version I
> can't build the other two unless I upgrade my system :(
>
> We should not be forcing the *highest* version needed by plugins.

I agree. But I also see the point of consolidation of dependencies. Its
getting really complicated to say geany-plugins needs this dependencies,
but I think its an issue we need to solve on social level, not trying
to solve it with some hack. Is there any chance to get a complete list
which plugins depend on which library out of autotools?

Cheers,
Frank
--
http://frank.uvena.de/en/