[Geany-devel] Geany-Plugins Dependency Consolidation

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Aug 5 00:21:04 UTC 2012

On 5 August 2012 03:40, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 12-08-04 09:41 AM, Colomban Wendling wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> So... maybe I got your point wrong, but I don't think it's any kind of a
>> problem to have different dependencies from one plugin to another --
>> actually, I think each plugin should set it dependencies to exactly what
>> it needs: nothing less (of course), and nothing more.
>>

> You got it mostly. I just mean some way for the build system to handle
> multiple plugins sharing same dependencies like having webkit.m4 that
> enables/disables multiple plugins if not found. So when you configure, it
> says something like this:
>
>   checking for WebKit >= x.xx ... no
>      Disabling plugins: WebHelper, Devhelp, Markdown

I don't see this, the *plugin* should define what it needs, not some
arbitrary external build script.  My (limited) understanding of the
plugin autofoo is that is how its done now by having local build
scripts in each plugin.

If they require different versions that might mean you get Webhelper
and Devhelp but not Markdown, but your scheme won't allow that.  So if
the Markdown dev added some new feature that needed a higher version I
can't build the other two unless I upgrade my system :(

We should not be forcing the *highest* version needed by plugins.