[Geany-devel] public ui_setup_open_button_callback

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Apr 5 20:03:20 UTC 2012

On 12-04-05 11:56 AM, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently UIUtilsFuncs contain ui_path_box_new(), so a
> file-chooser-dialog button can be created programatically in a plugin.
> But there's no ui_setup_open_button_callback(), so it's impossible to
> load such a button from a .glade file and setup it, as in Geany.
>
> geanyprj uses ui_path_box_new(), and other plugins (saveactions,
> spellcheck, debugger, ...) create file-chooser-dialog buttons manually,
> so they seem common. I'm writing a new plugin, and would prefer to
> use .glade for the interface as much as possible (and practical).

IMO, all this path box stuff should be deprecated in favour of the
widget provided by the toolkit (GtkFileChooserButton). Using custom
stuff like this makes Geany "non-standard" amongst other GTK+ programs
and it doesn't provide the flexibility of the already provided widget,
namely being a real GtkWidget and integration with Glade.

On the other hand, I also wouldn't be opposed to a proper implementation
of a real custom GtkWidget subclass (ex. GeanyPathBox) that can be used
in Glade and otherwise conveniently, since I tend to find the text box
next to the button to be more user-friendly than the widget currently
provided by the toolkit for this purpose.

My $0.02, having thought about this before while porting to Glade and
having previously written a GeanyPathBox widget for this use.