[Geany-devel] file attributes on a linux system

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Apr 4 00:39:41 UTC 2012

On 4 April 2012 09:30, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 April 2012 01:56, Alexander Eberspächer
> <alex.eberspaecher at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 01:38:15 -0500
>> worthspending <worthspending at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I develop ruby code on a linux box.  For all new files Geany creates,
>>> the file attributes are set to include the +x executable attribute.
>>
>> Let me briefly describe a related issue: if a file with the +x attribute
>> is opened in Geany and "Save as" as chosen, the saved file will lack
>> the +x attribute. Is this desired behaviour?

Sorry initially misread your comment, you said "save as"

But the reason is the same as below, it creates a new file, which will
get its protection from the current umask.

That *is* desired behaviour because it is how all Unix systems work,
we should not be different.  Users would be surprised if Geany
behavior is different to all others and there is no guarantee that we
can actually set any specific protections since the user may not have
sufficient permission to do so due to the umask.

Cheers again
Lex