[Geany-devel] How about calling the next release 1.0?

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Fri Sep 30 21:48:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 23:59, Colomban Wendling
<lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> Le 20/09/2011 12:07, Jiří Techet a écrit :
>> Hi,
>
> Hey,
>
>> just one very quick and possibly stupid idea. How about getting rid of
>> the 0 version prefix and calling the next release 1.0? This would be
>> just numbering change, not some milestone based on features that have
>> to be implemented (similarly to renumbering linux kernel from 2.6.x to
>> 3.0).
>>
>> [...]
>
> Next Geany release is very near (2011-10-01 or 2011-10-02 UTC), and
> since the thread seems to show nobody is strongly against a versioning
> change and some seems to think it's a very good idea, I think it's time
> to make a decision.
>
> I've created a Doodle poll [1][2], and I invite everyone to give his/her
> opinion.  Note that there are 9 possible options, make sure you see all
> them ;)  The final choice will be made just before releasing, but it's
> close so don't postpone if you want to give your opinion.
>
> Also if you think it's not time for a change but you also think that
> after 0.21 it'd be good, please still vote for 0.21 -- I didn't wanted
> (or forgot? :D) to add this to the poll yet not to confuse it.

If it's too late to bump the version number for the upcoming release,
0.21 can be used for the release and the bump to 1.0 (1.22, ...) can
be done as part of post-release version increment.

My personal preference is 1.21 > 1.0 > 0.21 though. By the way, any
other ordering doesn't fit mathematically and is therefore wrong.
Q.E.D.

Jiri