[Geany-devel] How about calling the next release 1.0?

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Thu Sep 29 21:59:24 UTC 2011

Le 20/09/2011 12:07, Jiří Techet a écrit :
> Hi,

Hey,

> just one very quick and possibly stupid idea. How about getting rid of
> the 0 version prefix and calling the next release 1.0? This would be
> just numbering change, not some milestone based on features that have
> to be implemented (similarly to renumbering linux kernel from 2.6.x to
> 3.0).
>
> [...]

Next Geany release is very near (2011-10-01 or 2011-10-02 UTC), and
since the thread seems to show nobody is strongly against a versioning
change and some seems to think it's a very good idea, I think it's time
to make a decision.

I've created a Doodle poll [1][2], and I invite everyone to give his/her
opinion.  Note that there are 9 possible options, make sure you see all
them ;)  The final choice will be made just before releasing, but it's
close so don't postpone if you want to give your opinion.

Also if you think it's not time for a change but you also think that
after 0.21 it'd be good, please still vote for 0.21 -- I didn't wanted
(or forgot? :D) to add this to the poll yet not to confuse it.

Finally, if you choose "something else", you could perhaps elaborate by
responding to this mail :)

If we get a significant amount of participation [3] and some kind of
consensus, I think we could apply it for the release.

Cheers,
Colomban

[1] http://www.doodle.com/xih6mvzvca5chqa7
[2] since it seems to be the way other does such things here ^^
[3] where "significant" is an arbitrary number