[Geany-devel] editing big files can be too slow with tag reparsing

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sat Sep 24 10:59:07 UTC 2011

Le 22/09/2011 18:30, Nick Treleaven a écrit :
> Hi,
> Whilst opening doc/geany.html I found it takes >5s on my machine to
> load. It's a big document though, still perhaps the HTML tag parser
> performance could be improved.

I think 5s is weird in the first place.  I know geany.html is 6.5k-lines
file, and that it may have say, 150 tags, but 5s seems way too much IMHO.

Maybe we should try to find out why this is so slow on your machine,
there might show a Geany bug, performance problem or something else.

* What kind of machine did you run (basically, CPU's MHz)
* Had you many HTML files open, with many tags each?
* Had you many non-HTML files open?

...and any information that might be useful (:-')

(BTW, I've seen HTML tag parser is regex-based, maybe that's
particularly slow?)

> But now we have tag reparsing, editing geany.html becomes painful. I
> know we can disable reparsing, but what else could we do to improve the
> situation? It's not urgent to solve this problem, unless we want to make
> reparsing off by default.

I like Thomas' idea, see other mail.

Regards,
Colomban