[Geany-devel] saving plugin settings in a project file

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Sep 21 22:36:44 UTC 2011

On 22 September 2011 02:01, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 17:18:14 +0400
> Alexander Petukhov <devel at apetukhov.ru> wrote:
>
>> What I wanted was to have debug settings loaded at the same time I open
>> files I worked with last time. [...] but now I realize that I can store
>> debug settings for a session in plugins own config, where all other
>> plugin level stuff reside and if a user works with a project - store
>> debug settings in a project, [...]
>
> What you need is debug sessions, and they depend on the executable being
> debugged. It doesn't make sense to use the same breakpoints, watches
> etc. for more than one program, or two sets of these for the same
> program.
>
> I think you can store the debug session settings in the plugin main and
> only configuration file, with section names dependent on the full
> executable name, for example it's md5 sum:
>
> /home/build/projects/testing/geany -> [945b93c3fe68a0fe63ac6e8e528c59a5]
> ...settings...
>
> /home/build/source/fnatools/fnstofna ->
> [1b216f36ac78dd903085214692c821cc]
> ...settings...
>
> etc. Note that the projects sessions do not necessarily match the
> debug sessions - for example, a project may produce several executable
> files, and they will not share the same debugging session.

You are correct that debugging settings relate to the executable a
*user* is debugging and so should be saved in a file in the user
config directory, not in a project file.

The little problem with your implementation is that there is no
indication when you have finished with that executable and the
settings can be deleted.

I suggest like the "recent files" list it would need to be limited in
number, so the section names should be [debug1] to [debugn] and the
path be one of the settings.