[Geany-devel] ChangeLog for Geany: is that useful, for who and how? (was Re: Geany-Plugins: Please check for ChangeLog-entries on commit)

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Sep 20 21:44:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:45:04 +0200, Colomban wrote:

Hi guys,

[skip ChangeLog, maybe use something auto-generated]

while I was sticking long time to our ChangeLog format and workflow,
in the meantime I think we could indeed drop it, that is, drop it in
the (D)VCS.
Just auto-generate it for releases to be included in tarballs as there
is no way for users to query the (D)VCS.
I wouldn't even filter the commit messages in any way, just generate a
fancy ChangeLog from them. This only means we need to take care about
using sane commit messages but we did this before already, I'd say.

When/After switching to GIT, this all should become easier.

>So, this is it.  I'm waiting for any POVs, remarks, flamewars, insults,
>etc. you find appropriate :)

Insults?
Tempting...

:D.