[Geany-devel] How about calling the next release 1.0?

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Tue Sep 20 12:13:29 UTC 2011

Am Di, 20.09.2011, 13:43 schrieb Lex Trotman:
> On 20 September 2011 21:23, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 20.09.2011 12:07, schrieb Ji?í Techet:
>>> just one very quick and possibly stupid idea. How about getting rid of
>>> the 0 version prefix and calling the next release 1.0?
>>
>> To make it short: As we are about two weeks ahead of next release I
>> disagree. After 0.21 release we got a lot of structural changes we might
>> could think about a 1.0 too, but I don't feel its needed at the moment.
>
> I have to disagree with you on this Frank, the version number is
> nothing to do with structural or technical issues, it is a project
> issue.  Changing the version number doesn't affect translation or
> anything else that takes time to do, so it isn't going to delay the
> release.

I agree. There's no reason to wait until after the upcoming release. 1.0:
the earlier, the better.

This release should be the most stable one ever made, so 1.0 is even more
justified. 0.X simply isn't justified anymore. It sounds like Geany was
alpha software, but it has indeed better release quality that the majority
of software out there.

Best regards.