[Geany-devel] How about calling the next release 1.0?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Sep 20 11:02:37 UTC 2011

On 20 September 2011 20:14, Jon Senior <jon at restlesslemon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:07:23 +0200
> Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> just one very quick and possibly stupid idea. How about getting rid of
>> the 0 version prefix and calling the next release 1.0? This would be
>> just numbering change, not some milestone based on features that have
>> to be implemented (similarly to renumbering linux kernel from 2.6.x to
>> 3.0).
>>
>> Rationale: the 0.xx versioning scheme makes an impression that Geany
>> is something very unstable that crashes every five minutes and whose
>> first release was made a few months back. Instead, Geany is a very
>> stable and reliable editor with lots of features and several years of
>> history.

I agree with this argument, I tend to introduce Geany anywhere I have
a contract and one of the first reactions is always "But its just a
fractional version number".  And I know when I am looking for software
I want to use I tend to have the same reaction.  Following the Kernels
example and going to 1.0 or better yet 1.1 would be a good idea. And
it is likely to attract more contributors since it doesn't look like
the project is just starting.