[Geany-devel] How about calling the next release 1.0?

Jon Senior jon at xxxxx
Tue Sep 20 10:14:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:07:23 +0200
Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> just one very quick and possibly stupid idea. How about getting rid of
> the 0 version prefix and calling the next release 1.0? This would be
> just numbering change, not some milestone based on features that have
> to be implemented (similarly to renumbering linux kernel from 2.6.x to
> 3.0).
>
> Rationale: the 0.xx versioning scheme makes an impression that Geany
> is something very unstable that crashes every five minutes and whose
> first release was made a few months back. Instead, Geany is a very
> stable and reliable editor with lots of features and several years of
> history.
>
> I know there are some 1.0 TODOs here:
>
> http://www.geany.org/Documentation/ToDo
>
> like the ABI stability for plugins and other features. But
>
> 1. Will the ABI be ever considered stable? Is it really needed? (All
> the plugins I know are open source and the combined plugin project is
> kept in sync with the development release so there's no real problem
> even if the API changes).
>
> 2. I think there's no need to require some specific features for the
> 1.0 release. The current set of features makes already a very good
> editor and extra features can always be introduced in later versions.
>
> I already find Geany more usable for my needs than editors having 2011
> as their version number so I believe it deserves the 1 prefix. What is
> your opinion?

As a quiet reader of this mailing list and (very) occasional
contributor, I agree wholeheartedly. I've been using geany as my
principle IDE for the last 4 years, the last three of which have been
spent as a professional developer. Firefox (now on version 4) crashes
at least twice a week (although mainly due to Flash). Netbeans (version
7.0) ties itself in a knot at least once a week, while consuming all
available resources. OpenOffice (version 3) will occasionally just
vanish without even an error message, sheepishly offering me the chance
to recover documents on restart. Through all of this geany goes from
reboot to reboot without dropping a byte. I think it's time to
recognise that! :-)

Jon